July 21, 2014 By Condor’s Team
All security guards and concierge staff in working in the private security field in Ontario are required to be in full compliance with all regulations set by the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services. Regardless of whether a Security Guard works in North York, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, downtown Toronto, or anywhere in Ontario, regulations set out in the PSISA must be followed.
Police officers throughout Ontario have the option of issuing tickets for violations of the Private Security and Investigative Services Act. For individual offenders, convictions under Part III lead to a fine of up to $25,000, imprisonment for up to one year, or both.
Examples of offences under the Private Security and Investigative Services Act of Ontario are below. Fines for these offences range from $100 to $250 per offence.
- Fail to carry security guard licence
- Represent revoked licence as valid
- Represent suspended licence as valid
- Fail to identify self as security guard on request
- Fail to produce security guard licence on request
- Act or hold out as security guard without appropriate licence
- Act or offer services under licence — is not entitled to work in Canada
- Act or offer services under licence — does not have clean criminal record
- Represent licence as valid when no longer meeting licensing requirement
- Security guard — when identifying self or nature of services, use terms or variations of the terms:
- “law enforcement”
- Security guard — fail to wear uniform that complies with the regulations:
- proper identification tag not affixed to uniform as required
- name, logo or crest of licensed employer not affixed as required
- term “SECURITY,” or “SECURITY GUARD” in required form and colour not affixed to front of uniform as required
A full list of all offences may be viewed on the Ontario Court of Justice website at: http://www.ontariocourts.ca/ocj/how-do-i/set-fines/set-fines-i/schedule-74/
The Private Security and Investigative Services Act of Ontario and all its regulations may be viewed on the website for the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, Private Security and Investigative Services Branch at: http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/english/PSIS/PSIS_main.html